About Career In Engineering: Most significantly the term engineering was derived from a Latin word “Ingenium” that means cleverness and also Ingenaire that means to create. Engineering is the application of science that utilizes the concepts and researches to invent, improve, build and Design.
Eligibility For Engineering Courses
There are many engineering courses depending on one’s area of interest. They are offered at many levels like diploma level, undergraduate level, postgraduate level and also at doctoral levels.
Engineering Courses at Diploma Level
It is a course that will last for three years which any student can pursue after the completion of 10 years of education. These diploma holders are also eligible to get the lateral entry in the engineering courses from the second year.
Undergraduate Course leading to BTech Degree
Bachelor of Technology is the 4 years of full-time undergraduate courses that will teach engineering related to concepts. It will be done with the engineering discipline. Prerequisite for adopting the course will only be that you have to complete 12 years of education with PCM education from the recognized educational board.
The Engineering Postgraduate Degree will be awarded in the name of M.Tech which is studied depending on the choice and also according to the subjects that you have studied in your Bachelor of Technology Degree. The only prerequisite for this is that you have to complete a B. Tech. Degree of four years from any reputed university in the country or outside country.
Doctoral Degrees in Engineering
Doctor of philosophy is the research course of organization which is an advanced level of technology. It is a course for around 3 years. This technology course varies from college to college. The prerequisite for this is that the student must have completed a master degree.
The admissions can be taken in engineering college by entrance examinations. For Undergraduate, there are examinations like JEE mains, UPTU & Others and for Postgraduates, there are GATE examinations. For a Ph.D., you have to clear the NET examination.
Engineers are highly Demanded in India as well as in foreign countries. Career options in the world are huge. There are many career options after engineering. One can go for campus placement and do jobs for years. Then again after you can apply for M.Tech and then Ph.D. or you can also go in business.
The common Job title for engineers are:
- Chief engineer
- Project Engineer
- Senior engineer
- Assistant Engineer
- System Engineer
- Top recruiting companies are
- Tata motors
- Indian Airlines
- Air India
- Hindustan Lever Ltd
- Tata Engineering Research Institute
The top branches of engineering from where you can choose their field according to one’s personal interest.
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
- Information Technology
- Automobile Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Architectural Engineering or Architecture
- Agricultural Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Food Technology
- Textile Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Material Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Genetic Engineering
- Ocean and Marine Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Top Engineering Colleges In India
Here Is Top Engineering Colleges/University in India based on ranking:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh
- Thapar University, Patiala
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication
- Technology (DA-IICT), Gandhinagar
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- University College of Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Institute of Technology, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Hindustan University, Chennai
- SRM Engineering College, Chennai
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore
- SSN College of Engineering, Tamil Nadu
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Rangpo
- ITM University, Gurgaon
- BIT Sindri, Dhanbad
- Sreenidhi Institute of Science and Technology, Ranga Reddy
- Kongu Engineering College, Erode
Any fresher engineer can earn around a package of 2.5 to 3 lakhs per annum. Then after if you keep on gaining experience then there will be an increment in the salary.